Now that Justin has a job where he works from home, we were very excited to try out new slow cooker recipes. Always a yummy favourite is the slow cooker butter chicken. Justin looked at several recipes and this is what we ended up with:
Note – We found boneless, skinless chicken thighs were the best kind of chicken to use and there was a note from the allrecipes.com website to use a needle and thread (for example) to link the cardamom pods together. This is essential because we didn’t do this the first time and they taste like gross perfume-y flowers.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 chicken thighs (or more if desired)
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon curry paste
- 2 teaspoons tandoori masala
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 15 green cardamom pods
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- salt to taste
- Melt the butter and vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the chicken, onion, and garlic. Cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 10 minutes. Stir in the curry powder, curry paste, tandoori masala, garam masala, and tomato paste until no lumps of tomato paste remain. Pour into a slow cooker, and stir in the cardamom pods, coconut milk, and yogurt. Season to taste with salt.
- Cook on High 4 to 6 hours, or on Low 6 to 8 hours until the chicken is tender and the sauce has reduced to your desired consistency. Remove and discard the cardamom pods before serving.
We also have had either basmati rice or naan bread on the side, either of which is an absolute asset to this meal. Yum!